Sunday, April 22, 2012

Still more on property taxes, ETC.

Hi folks, this time it's a letter-to-the-editor (two letters, in fact: They're trying to get ahead of me) that is prompting me to write. This is my fourth blog on the subject and I would like to retire my pen on this subject, but as long as the opponents, in other words 'the-POWERS-that be,' keep coming out against eliminating property taxes, then I have to address their concerns, or at least add more fodder to our cause.
The first letter is from a bureaucrat. Here's the headline: "Understand the facts, not rumors about foreclosures..." The headline also named the county but I left it out, as this bureaucrat wrote an interesting letter. The thing is, I'm not attacking him, but the spinning in his letter. And I will use a few quotes. "....taking an occupied residence is extremely rare." "Sometimes...the property is over-valued--we then ask the assessor...to take another look." (The words I'm leaving out are just "filler" words.) So why didn't the assessor get it right the first time? I'll tell you why. He/she is probably personally all right financially, hasn't seen poverty for a long time (if ever) and has lost touch with the common folk--oh, and also he/she is likely under orders to sock it to them homeowners for every dime possible!
Then this bureaucrat says most of the properties actually taken were "...vacant lots or lots with buildings that either needed to be demolished or rebuilt." But still, that property was owned by somebody who maybe had an unfullfilled dream about it.
The last thing I will mention is one more spinning-out-of-control quote: The county will accept "payments of any size." In other words, the homeowner by now is probably so far behind that those "payments" will be going toward only the accrued interest. But the county will continue getting money from this poor, willing, sap.
Sorry, bureaucrat, if this response upsets you, but you wrote your letter as an opponent to eliminating property taxes, and I responded as a proponent.
The second letter is from just a regular guy like me, actually far beyond me, as he volunteers with fire and rescue, and I honor him for doing so. But still here is the headline: "Measure 2 supporters have no clue about its effects on rural services" What got me there was the "no clue." I'm not going to go after this guy, as his concern is money for those services, but, hey, guy, you'll get your money. As I said in another blog: Money will continue to flow, and government money grows on trees--haven't you heard?
Thanks, folks. This will all be over on June 2, 2012. June 2 and November can't come soon enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment