Friday, April 12, 2013

Boi Meets Grl, A David Sloma Book Review


Vampires, are they all around us, as some books and movies suggest? Is that cute-but-scary-looking little bat fluttering about your face actually a vampire? A vampire ready to emerge as human, bite your neck and drink your blood? Or worse, make you one of them? Is the sun already down? Dare we go anywhere after dark? But hiding in your house won’t help. Vampires are hugely strong, and will get in no matter what. You have a gun, you say? That won’t help either, not unless you have silver bullets—oh wait! I believe silver bullets are for werewolves.
About your best bet against a vampire is a wooden stake driven into their heart, or, just wait for the sun to come up and hope the vampire will stupidly step into the bright sunrays. A vampire? Commit suicide? Good luck with that.
David Slomas’s novella, Boi Meets Grl, is all about vampires. It’s a fun romp through the dark clubs and alleys and souls of Montreal and Quebec City. The hero and heroine (Alex the guy, Josephine (“Jo”) the girl) I would put in their mid-to-late twenties. These two spend their free hours in what I would call an eighties “punk” club, in the novella it’s called a Goth club. Whatever. It’s a dark place with black lights, and people dress…well, probably not how I would dress. The club is where Alex and Jo meet...and then keep meeting, and forming their new friendship.
Jo eventually gives Alex a necklace made from black pearls that she found in an antique store. Unknown to her it belongs to Count Weldheim and he wants it back!...which sets the stage for these two kids to have to learn some survival skills.
The count has two main servants/slaves, Valic and Bahuck, who he sends out to retrieve his necklace. The count also has a whole bunch more servile vampires living in his mansion on the hill in Quebec City, with a basement full of humans whose blood these…beings, live off of.
A book about vampires would not normally be my choice, were I buying something off the shelf, but this digital version caught my eye. I have read one other book about vampires, far in my past. It wasn’t my favorite book of all time but it scared me and I still remember it. And while reading this novella I couldn’t help but think of the movie with George Clooney, Dusk till Dawn. I will never forget the most beautiful vampire in that clan, Salma Hayak.
Boi Meets Grl is written in first-person, and gives us a contemporary look at contemporary vampires. Hmmm, I said that as if I believe they really exist. Maybe they do. And may they live forever to keep us well-filled with blood-letting vampire literature.

David's book is available for a digital download, free April 11, 2013, until April 15.

Thanks for reading

Contact

nelsonjamesw@hotmail.com                          email
http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B004GW465S   Author page at Amazon
http://morninginapril.weebly.com                   Website & Blog
https://www.facebook.com/#!/                         Facebook
http://subron7.hubpages.com/                          HubPages
Feel free to contact me. (Response is not guaranteed) (The world is full of psychos and wackos)
A reminder for when you go to Amazon to read digital books, mine and many other authors: Amazon has a free APP download that allows you to read your book on any electronic device, including PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, Android, and Blackberry.
Prices vary from $0.99-$2.99.
Occasionally I list one of my books as free for a  day, sometimes more than a day. Look for those announcements on my blog, HubPages, Twitter, and Facebook
One last thing: When you visit my website, please check out the Freebies page.

No comments:

Post a Comment